Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chalkboard Fridge

Chalkboard Fridge

This is my grandmother's 1940s GE refrigerator.  It has seen better days, but we LOVE it.  It is the coldest fridge anyone could ask for!! 

For a while now I wanted to paint it.  So I headed to Lowe's and the paint guy sold me on spray paint.  I bought it and it sat for weeks, spray paint and I do not mix.  It always seems to run down.  I took back the spray paint.  

Then I contacted a friend of mine that owns a body shop and she said they could paint it for $250.  I said yes and then said no, just too much money to spend on the fridge in the garage.  

So I thought about how I could paint it and chalkboard paint came to my mind.  I did little searching on google and of course Pinterest.  Looks like chalkboard painted fridges are the new thing!! A few of my favorites that I found:


RustOleum makes a chalkboard paint that is tintable!!  
Off to Home Depot I went. They have 12 colors you can chose from:
I choose Deep Teal.  I really pictured turquoise, so this is the closest I could get.

Directions:
1. Clean the surface and let dry.
2. Sand. I used my hand sander and got to it.  You can't tell much from the picture, but it take off the shine and some of the rust spots.

2. If needed prime with Painter's Touch Primer.  I did this and used two coats. I let it dry at least 2 hours between coats. And overnight before I started with the chalkboard paint.

3. Paint with the chalkboard paint.  You have to wait at least 4 hours in between coats.  I did 3 coats and it looks great like this!!



4. Wait 3 days after the final coat (total torture!!) and then condition it.  Condition? Rub the surface with chalk and wipe off.

The finished product:



Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment